Due to the massive amount of Konsole changes in KDE 4.8, some of the new features and fixes are listed below. A large portion of these are due to Konsole’s new developer Jekyll Wu <firstname.lastname@example.org>. He has also done a lot to clean up the code. There have also been other contributions that have provided patches and commits.
A very thankful pat on the back for all those that helped!
Due to the nature and scope of the changes, please test the KDE 4.8 RCs and/or git master and provide any feedback.
- Before any window is opened, make sure pty device has right size before starting the terminal process.
- Allow an image to be set as the background in the terminal window.
- Close session reliably when the session process doesn’t die with SIGHUP.
- Don’t show the default profile in menu New Tab list when no others are listed.
- Add “Select All” action for selecting the whole history of this session.
- Add popup menu for drag-n-drop operations using KonqOperations::doDrop.
- Bidirectional text support is on by default.
- Left-To-Right direction will always be used in the terminal area even when the language is Right-To-Left.
- Add support for Unicode decomposed characters and in general better unicode displaying.
And then, there’s this:
- Respect leading and trailing white spaces in the search string BUG:286614
- Always use Left-To-Right as the “document layout” in the terminal area BUG:279048
- Add bidirectional text support by default BUG: 198169
- Prevent crashing when dumping binary files to terminal. BUG: 184964
- Simplify the scrollback setting dialog to avoid potential confusion. BUG: 227144
- Support using Ctrl+
for zooming text size FEATURE: 238037
- Ensure %w and %# are also expanded in the ‘Copy input’ dialog BUG: 175755
- Draw some fail-to-simulate box-drawing characters in the normal way. BUG:210329
- Shift+Tab should not cause implicit focus switching in stand-alone konsole BUG: 244514
- Implement the “Seconds to detect silence” option from KDE3 konsole. FEATURE: 195978
- Make dbus method newSession(profile,directory) works as expected BUG:222233
- Save default-profile/favorites/shortcuts settings into disk ASAP. BUG: 200987
- Always read/write the ‘DefaultProfile’ entry from/into ‘konsolerc’. BUG:251602
- Close session reliably when the session process doesn’t die with SIGHUP. BUG:241709 BUG:251566
- Do not resolve the symlink for initial working directory. FEATURE: 242114
- Allow users to control where the newly created tab should be placed. CCBUG:276872
- The initial visibility of menubar should be determined by profile option. BUG: 186561
- Refine the ‘Change profile’ action. BUG: 245795
- Don’t show the default profile in list when no others are listed. BUG: 245478
- Add action to jump to last tab. BUG: 279166
- Fix the problem of possibly losing the last line after resizing window. BUG:192221
- Do not insert one extra emtpy line every 500 lines in the saved history. BUG: 225501
- Add “Select All” action for selecting the whole history of this session. FEATURE: 199990
- Konsole should never save a profile with empty name into disk. BUG: 281268
- When searching, apply change in case sensitive option immediately. BUG: 273614
- When using -e
don’t save to profile for new tabs. CCBUG: 192212
- Each filename inserted in d∓d operation should be followd by a space. FEATURE: 280838
- ANSI escape code “\e[1;93m” should generate intensive color. BUG: 274603
- Warn users they may need to restart konsole to see transparent background. FEATURE: 169305
- Do not call selectedRow() at the end of tableSelectionChanged(). BUG: 281375
- Check the validity of context menu after it gets closed. BUG: 233377
- Enable copy action only when some text are selected. FEATURE: 203768
- Disable clear & reset actions when the secondary screen is in use. BUG:204741
- Don’t emit keyPressedSignal when QInputMethodEvent::commitString() is empty. BUG: 236733
- Popup menu for drag-n-drop operations. (Using KonqOperations::doDrop) FEATURE: 160583
- Allow an image to be set as the background in the terminal. BUG: 157882
- Make sure pty device has right size before terminal process queries it. BUG: 173999 BUG: 176902 BUG: 203185 BUG: 229058
- Add shortcuts to jump to top & bottom of history. FEATURE: 38390 FEATURE: 45950
- Add a checkbox to hide the size widget upon resizing window. FEATURE: 169054
- New tabs will be placed to the right of the current tab. FEATURE: 276872
- Use SPACE as delimiter when joining multiple lines. BUG: 136730
- Correct non-zero status notification such that it works. BUG: 221726
- Enable Edit Profile Apply button only when profile has changed. BUG: 274501
- Fix notifications for non-visible sessions. BUG: 174505
- Support Unicode decomposed characters BUGS: 96536